The best methods to get rid of streaks on windows
April 13, 2022
It is fair to say that many of us have a love-hate relationship when it comes to our windows. They allow the so beautiful and important sunlight through, and they also allow us to enjoy the outside world and nature from the comfort of our own homes. We all know far too well, however, how annoying it can be to spot even the smallest streak of dirt on our windows. Suddenly the view is spoilt, and we do not seem to be able to see anything else but the streak.
The way most of us would clean windows would entail a big bucket of water and a sponge; we would then start scrubbing away at the dirty streak and we would repeat if needed. Others would simply use a premixed window cleaning product and use a flannel to attack the dirt.
But are these really the best methods? There can be a certain strategy to follow in order to achieve a streak-free and beautifully clean window!
And here’s how you can do it:
Clear the Space
- First of all, make sure you clear the area around the window. This can be achieved by removing any trinkets, or pieces of furniture and by moving your blinds out of the way.
- Protecting your floor, carpet and walls is also very important. This can be achieved by simply laying down a sheet or drop cloth to prevent your beautiful floor or carpet from getting wet and damaged.
This practice it also gives you more space to work within and eliminates the risk of knocking down precious ornaments by mistake.
Get the Correct Window Cleaning Products
Once you have cleared and prepped the area; the advice would be to try and stay away from the pre-mixed bottles. They are rather convenient and practical – particularly for those of us with little time to spend on housework – yet premixed window cleaning sprays could leave some marks and rather annoying streaks that can be hard to remove.
Instead try to make up your own solution, which will mainly consist of a few drops of liquid soap – washing up liquid for example – together with a small measure of clear malt vinegar.
The combination of liquid soap and vinegar will guarantee great results leaving your windows gleaming and streak-free.
Prepare the Right Equipment
There are several different options for you to consider when it comes to choosing the right equipment.
- Using a clean sponge or a micro-fibre cloth to apply the solution of soap and vinegar has proved very successful.
- When it comes to drying, well … believe it or not using a newspaper or indeed any paper towel will give you the best results. Newspaper is, in fact, a very dense material, it is made from soft fibres that are tightly packed together. It is also not abrasive and will not scratch or pit the glass. Try it on your mirrors too!
The Methodology to get rid of streaks on your windows
And finally, the motion or the way to do it.
- The best way to start cleaning your windows is from the edges inwards. Make sure that you periodically rinse your sponge or cloth to eliminate any dirt or particles that may scratch the glass before moving to the rest of the window.
- If your sponge or cloth is heavy with water, make sure you rub the window in a downward motion; this will ensure all the dirt washes away from the window rather than being spread around.
- If you have not got a newspaper or a paper towel handy, you can use a squeegee, making sure you work your way down towards the bottom of the window frame.
And now you can sit back, relax and enjoy your beautifully cleaned windows and… of course the view!